Beemans chewing gum (Late 1800s)
Beemans gum was invented by Ohio physician Dr. Edward E. Beeman in the late 19th century. Originally made of pepsin powder and chicle, the gum was prescribed by Beeman to aid digestion. In 1898, manufacturing was taken over by the American Chicle Company, then by Warner-Lambort in 1962. Beemans gum was available until 1978 when sales had lagged too much. In 1985, alongside Clove and Black Jack gums, Beemans was reproduced without pepsin.
Beemans was considered a “lucky” gum by pilots. This was thanks to the antacid qualities of pepsin. (It quashed stomach agitation during flight.)