Gilbert Toys Erector Sets
Patented in 1913, A.C. Gilbert invented the Erector Set in 1911 and continued manufacturing until 1967, when the company went bankrupt. The Gabriel company bought the Erector name and manufactured identical sets in the 70s and 80s.
The original Erector Set was a metallic toy construction set consisting of beams and pulleys, gears and small electric motors. The Erector Set is believed to have been the first subject of the very first national American advertising campaign. The Erector Set was inducted into the National Toy Hall of Fame in 1998.